The Winter Bike Challenge is the best way to celebrate winter bike commuting in Chicagoland. Here are a few easy ways to get your bike and yourself ready to ride.
- Don't be in the dark when riding at night. Use lights - it's the law. Click here to see why it's so important.
- Flat tires suck - carry a spare tube, mini pump and a patch kit with you, just in case.
- Fenders can help keep snow/slush and mud off of your clothes and bike.
- Use a quality lock. Bike racks or old parking meters are always your best bet for locking up.
- Click here for a helpful video on locking your bike properly.
- Know your ABCs? Click here for an easy way to be sure your bike is safe to ride.
- Always wear a properly fitted helmet! Click here to see how it should look.
- An ankle strap - available at any bike shop - will prevent your pants from getting greasy and getting caught in the chain.
- Be sure to dress appropriately for cold weather. Click here for what to wear from head to toe. You can also view a helpful video here.
- CTA, Pace and Metra all allow bikes! Click here to learn how to take your bike on public transit.
What to wear
Check out the free classes on Cold Weather Cycling and Bike Maintenance here! A great way to get ready for rolling in the cold!