How to Bike to Work
You’ve been curious about bike commuting. Here’s your chance to discover the ease and delight of riding to work.
We can help you every step of the way. This is the place to learn everything to make your commute by bike comfortable and safe.
Not sure about biking on that meeting day? Learn how to arrive at work looking fresh and sharp with these helpful tips and tools:
Bike to Work Guide
Learn what to wear, where to ride, and how to do it safely with our handy Bike to Work Guide.
More helpful tips for new riders
Bikes on Transit
Learn how to use your bike with transit and you can get anywhere this summer.
Whether you want to head across town to a neighborhood festival or avoid congestion, using your bike with CTA, Pace and Metra will save you money and time. Bikes ride for free!”
CTA: Read all about CTA's Bike & Ride program.
- Bikes ride for free at any time on CTA buses.
- Bikes ride for free on CTA trains outside these hours: 7–9 a.m. and 4–6 p.m.
Metra allows five bikes on all lines except the Electric Line. The Electric Line allows two bikes per car in 2012, down from three last year. Bikes ride for free on Metra during off-peak hours with the following exceptions:
- All days during Taste of Chicago - July 10, 2013 to July 14, 2013
- Lollapalooza - August 2, 2013 to August 4, 2013
- Air & Water Show - August 17, 2013 & August 18, 2013
All Pace buses accommodate two bikes. Read about Pace's bike program here.